Thought for the Day
Radio Scotland
Good Morning Scotland
Wednesday, November 18th, 2009
Radio Scotland
Good Morning Scotland
Wednesday, November 18th, 2009
Yesterday’s report by Barnardo's is telling us nothing new: young people who have run away from home or from Council Care find themselves at risk because of people out there willing to exploit and abuse them.
I was a runaway in 1971 - thirteen years old and alone in a series of hostels in a seamy part of the city of Vancouver. I was gone, as I remember for about ten days. I like to think that I had my wits about me but, in truth, there was a flip of the coin involved. I didn’t wind up in the trouble I could have.
There are plenty of suggestions which could be made about the ways in which Council should allocate its resources and the role that organized charities could play in intervention and preventative care. It needs to be spelled out, though, what all of us can do and the extent to which our children find a "place" within our church communities and voluntary organizations.
For every fear about sour or exploitative relationships or about family relationships or foster care gone bad there are a host of opportunities which can be seized right now - today.
It does only limited good to express outrage and to demand action on the part of others. Much of the power to change the lives of young people rests in our hands.
We encounter young people in our Church communities and we can either make a place for them or treat them as if they were add-ons.
I hated being young - having the beginnings of an adult's mind and body and having no place I felt I belonged.
But as difficult as it is to talk to some young people in the deep throes of sullen adolescence - fact is, when they grow up they will remember the teacher who, through patience and thoughtful enquiry "got through" to them. The minister who was a friend and not merely some scowling presence at the front of the church. The scout, guide or boys brigade leader who helped to facilitate the sort of community which made them feel as though they belonged.